Sharing is caring!

Like what you read? Share this with everyone you know to encourage me to write more!
Don't like what you read? Want to know more about something in particular? Suggestions? Send me some feedback!

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Language Fail

Well... it happened really quickly... my mad language skills failed me within an hour of my flight. "I know how to order white wine" is what I psyched myself up for... a deer in the headlights look is what the flight attendant and the sweet girl sitting next to me got. I managed to get "chicken please" and "tea please" with a plethora of "thank yous" thrown in there for the rest of dinner service at least. 

Now, as I'm nearing the end of my 9 hour flight to the motherland, I've mucked up my drink order again and feel like a fool... should have known that they weren't serving coffee just yet, I can't smell it... I just desperately want it. It'll only be about 11:30 pm for y'all back on the east coast when we land but for us, we're about to start breakfast and try to survive the day without any naps to adjust our sleep schedules. I managed to get a wee nap in on the plane, but I have yet to master finding a comfortable position in the air. Really, what on earth is the point of those travel pillows that wrap around your neck? Maybe I'll figure that out by the end of this adventure. On the bright side, contrary to our fears, all of our bags arrived safely! 

Time for a few lessons for y'all:

In true southern fashion, I have depended on the kindness of strangers on multiple occasions already. Good people still exist in this world, and more and more I believe karma and angels do as well. After drinking in the city for the first time, a nice guy helped make sure we got back to JFK, where we had left the car. Didn't mug us, didn't want a number, didn't even want names, he just wanted to do something good. Later that day, we found out that the train we had been on earlier that morning derailed just hours after we were on it. Karma? Luck? Either way, the fact that 2 short, sleep deprived, girls like us managed to make it home safely, even if it was 8am, was quite a feat.

Next lesson, going with the same theme, don't be afraid to fly an airline that's run by a foreign company. Yes, I did it because I'm poor, but really, it's been a good experience. The flight attendants have been very accommodating and seem to appreciate that I'm trying. Plus, they poured that wine generously, the cheesecake was incredibly good, and I got to watch the Lego Movie as I enjoyed it. Now, watching Game of Thrones with my blini and coffee may not have been the best choice...
Today is gonna be a long day... hopefully I can figure out how to order more coffee while we wait for the group pick up. As long as sentences can be kept to 3 words or less, I've got this.

I thought in-flight meals were supposed to suck?
Somewhere between NYC and Moscow.
I think I see Europe!
No clue what country we're over, or what city that is, but it's pretty cool!
Our plane safely landed, despite the rain in Moscow.
Oh, hello, SVO. I didn't expect you to be so artistic or bright.

1 comment:

  1. Yay Kate-monster!! And yes on foreign airlines you can have surprisingly good experiences :)

    Now go enjoy your adventures and keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete