Sharing is caring!

Like what you read? Share this with everyone you know to encourage me to write more!
Don't like what you read? Want to know more about something in particular? Suggestions? Send me some feedback!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

From Russia, With Love...

Alright, here's my the beginning of my attempts to get caught up, so I'm combining/completely nixing some of my original post ideas. This post was originally started on day 2 (here I am on day 14), so I may have forgotten some stuff. Sorry. The less you hear from me = the more fun I'm having.

Anyway, day 2 we got placed in our classes, and I wound up placed in the top class, just because of how much I've already taken and what I was able to express in Russian during our wee interview and our placement exams. The original post I had begun went on about how much of a sham I am, which turned out to be true. This trip is all about pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and doing things that scare me. Guess the 1st item on that list was actually admitting I'm a sham and asking to be moved down a level. I've got the feeling trip is gonna continue to teach me lessons about pride, and to let it go.

      
Proof of life for the few I sent this to.
My next post was going to be encouraging you to keep on trucking, but considering I'm tired of trucking and haven't learned anything in the past week and a half (hopefully switching classes will change that), I'll go ahead and give you one of the lessons from that post: find your caffeine fix stat. I'm an addict, and a bit of a snob. All they have here is espresso (which just isn't enough for me) and instant coffee. Falling asleep in class when you teacher is sitting directly in front of you is not a good way to get on her good side.

We went to the Kremlin Armory that day, since no one had homework- how deceiving! It's a museum! I thought I'd get to see some cool Russian military as stuff! I mean old stuff is cool, and the building and everything in it was breathtaking, unfortunately no cameras were allowed, so sorry, you'll just have to go on your own one day.

While shamelessly taking selfies in front of Red Square, which was closed for Victory Day preparations (don't worry, we're having another trip there later this month, so I'll actually get to go in) I remembered that whole "I left my cell service on" thing and decided to send some love & kissey faces back to the states. You have no clue how comforting that is. I feel like I've adjusted more easily and quickly because I can still reach people back in the states at any time. Thank you T-Mobile for the free international texting and data. Talking to my roommate last night, I realized I haven't been homesick, and that I won't be. It doesn't feel much different than my adventure to AZ last year, just a bigger time difference. That, plus having nothing to go back to, (for reals though, I don't even have an apartment to go back to) makes for a fairly homesick free trip.


    
The most expensive mall you'll ever see. 
After the Armory was the ГУМ (GUM), a beautiful mall right next to the square. Столовая (stolovaya - a kind of cafeteria where you go thru line and pay for whatever you pick up/ask for) are still a huge thing here, which can be nice. No waiting on service, no tipping, but when you're not nearly fluent in the language, or very knowledgeable about the culture's food and beverage traditions, they can be intimidating.

So here's where our next lesson comes in: Push yourself. Push yourself to try new things. Push yourself to speak as much of the language as you can, whether it's just with other people in your group, or the person serving you at a restaurant. It's hard. Especially when you realize all you've learned over the years has not prepared you for simple things like shopping, or actually ordering food. The worst part is probably that you're not prepared to hear people speaking so quickly, or muffled etc. So you freak out, even though in hindsight you realize you totally could have understood and replied in a full, coherent sentence, rather than with a scared look and 1 or 2 words. So, push yourself to listen harder, and don't be afraid to ask someone to repeat what they said more slowly. Just make sure you have that request down first.

But don't forget what your confused/scared face feels like, sometimes it works out in your favor to play dumb.

Oh, and another note on public toilets, don't be surprised if they're co-ed.

A gorgeous fountain just across from the Kremlin
Tulips! SO MANY TULIPS! Perfect for the promise of summer approaching.
Part of the Kremlin wall
One of the many towers of the Kremlin
Guards stand in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, just outside the Kremlin walls
The calm before the storm. This place will be PACKED for Victory Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment